Here, at London Young Counselling we recruit all year round to provide placement opportunities for volunteer counsellors to provide 1:1 confidential counselling sessions with young people based in primary and secondary schools across the UK.
We provide all of our volunteers with resources they need and provide consistent support throughout their placement in a school.
How LYC volunteer placements work
- Counsellors will be placed in school for one day a week to see their clients. Young people can be aged from 4-18 dependant on the school you are interested in.
- The placements are based on a school site and you will have a confidential counselling room to see clients.
- The counselling sessions run alongside the timetabled structure of the school day and will run at the same time each week, term time only.
How our recruitment process works
If you are interested in applying for a volunteer counselling placement with London Young Counselling please make sure:
- You either have a qualification in counselling or are currently enrolled on a counselling course.
- Make sure you are able to practice counselling hours with young people. Not all courses allow this, so please check with your tutor before applying.
- Be able to commit to one day in a school per week.
- Be able to commit to all weeks in the academic year.
- Be able to provide a reference from your tutor and/or your supervisor.
Once you have checked the above, please complete an application form and we will be in touch with you to arrange an interview.
If you are successful at interview, we will then proceed to do a reference and enhanced DBS check.
If you have any other questions about our Volunteer Counselling placements please get in touch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is supervision included on this placement?
London Young Counselling run 2hr group supervisions once a month for counsellors on placement. Counsellor’s will need to source their own 1:1 supervision. Follow this link to see supervisors which are affiliated with LYC.
How long do placements run for?
We ask for a minimum commitment of one year, however, providing the placement is going well it can be ongoing. We do ask for one terms notice if you intend to finish the placement to give us time to place another counsellor.
Will I be based in one school for my placement?
Yes, you will be based in one school.
Do you provide training?
London Young Counselling provide Induction and Assessment Training as well as Safeguarding Training before you start your placement. We also provide various CPD courses throughout the year which are available to all of our volunteers.
Do placements run through school holidays?
No, placements run in term time only. It is important that counsellor’s make sure they are able to commit to their placement during all term time weeks and holidays are only taken during school holidays.
Do I have to be a student to apply for a placement?
No, if you are a qualified counsellor you can still apply for a placement!
Where in the country are you based, is it just London?
No, we started off in London but now we are based all over the country. Please contact us directly to discuss the locations we have available.